If you have your own podcast, it’s a pretty safe bet that you’re also an avid podcast listener. For current and future podcasters alike, listening to podcasts is an organic education on the ins and outs of podcasting. We asked three rising stars of podcasting to share their podcast industry role models and tell us about the shows that inspire them to create amazing content.
Kelly Ann Collins, The Startup Tuesday Podcast
Vult Lab Founder and CEO Kelly Ann Collins‘ show, The Startup Tuesday Podcast, was an unexpected success. Started in 2017, it quickly grew to 20,000 listeners via a variety of platforms within the first couple of months. When she began, her mission was to help founders grow their startup through branding. Now, she’s pivoted the theme to social media marketing. Next season, Kelly Ann wants to highlight community building and will amplify her show’s promotion. Here are her podcast picks:
- “Girlboss Radio With Sophia Amoruso is one of my favorites, which features Founder and former CEO of Nasty Gal, Sophia Amoruso. It’s entertaining with lots of useful insights.”
- “I love Arianna Huffington, of course, because she is the ultimate girl boss. She hosts The Thrive Global Podcast, which features great guests and gives awesome advice. I loved listening to the episode with Katie Couric, talking about how Instagram [is useful] for fostering community.”
- “I also adore Magic Lessons with Elizabeth Gilbert, hosted by the author of Eat, Pray, Love. Her podcast discusses the rewards and challenges of the creative mind. It’s great for creatives!”
Jamie Lee, Born to Thrive with Jamie Lee
Since March 2018, Jamie Lee has been the host and producer of the podcast Born to Thrive with Jamie Lee, which provides weekly insights, interviews and inspiring stories to help ambitious people become bolder, braver, and better paid. Jamie, a negotiation and leadership coach, believes that everyone is born to thrive — and we can get there by asking for what we want (yes, especially money!), leading the conversation (regardless of our titles/roles), and shifting mindsets (from limited to elevated). With an average of over 140 downloads per episode without paid advertising, she plans to keep empowering a growing number of listeners through her podcast. Here are her podcast industry role models:
- Brooke Castillo of The Life Coach School Podcast: “She’s the best at explaining life-changing concepts and tools in the most easy-to-understand, approachable way. Full disclosure: I’m in her certification program, and she has changed my life.”
- Jess Lively of The Lively Show: “She’s extremely articulate at explaining the inexplicable, such as The Law of Attraction and concepts taught by spiritual teachers like Byron Katie and Eckhart Tolle.”
- Medical Medium Podcast by Anthony William: “The leading-edge medical and nutritional information shared by the Medical Medium doesn’t exist anywhere else. It’s also practical, useful, and life-changing.”
Ashley Crouch, Prowess: Stories of Leaders Who Have An Edge
Ashley Crouch, an award-winning visibility strategist and Founder of Appleseed Communications, launched her podcast Prowess: Stories of Leaders Who Have An Edge in February 2019 with guest Marie Forleo along with the publication of her bestselling book, Unknown To Unforgettable: How To Stop Playing Small, Land National Media Attention and Position Yourself As A Power Player. She takes listeners behind the scenes of leaders with an edge, detailing how they got there and went the distance. She asks tough questions to top titans, multimillion dollar CEOs, and several-time bestselling authors.
- Glambition Radio with Ali Brown: “Ali interviews top seven-figure women leaders and I love the variety of iconic guests and authenticity of the conversation.”
- The School of Greatness with Lewis Howes: “Lewis Howes interviews a great variety of some of the top minds today. I love how he gets into their personal stories. [By] gaining insight into their three deepest truths, [he] captures their essence, and gives key lessons to help propel you to greatness.”
- Unstoppable Success Radio with Kelly Roach: “Kelly Roach offers a variety of in-depth high-quality interviews with top titans of industry, while also offering consistent game-changing business advice to scale your business.”