WEBSITE BUILDING FOR BEGINNERS
ENTREPRENEURISM & CAREER DREAMS
- Be What I Want to Be: Explore different career options and take personality quizzes to discover your dream job.
- Binary Girl: This site offers support and community for women interested in entrepreneurship and the IT industry.
- Engineer Girl: Information for girls interested in engineering careers. Read profiles of engineers to get the inside scoop.
- Engineer Your Life: A guide to engineering for girls in high school. Learn about life as an engineering student and what women engineers are doing with their careers.
- Fresh Brain: Visit this site to explore the latest in technology, brush up on your technical skills, create a YouTube video and more.
- Groove Job: Find your job with Groove Job’s searchable database made specifically for teens.
- I Was Wondering: Click here to discover some amazing women scientists and learn how to make their jobs your own!
- My Future: Get the facts about different jobs and careers. Find out average salaries, education requirements, and industry demand.
- Internships Online: International database of jobs and internships.
- Junior Achievement: Educating students about workforce readiness, entrepreneurship, and financial literacy.
- Start Here, Go Places: Information and resources for teens interested in accounting. Read profiles and explore careers!
- Teen Business Forum: Where teens discuss entrepreneurship. Join forums, read articles and create a network of peers.
- Think Quest: A learning platform where teachers and students create learning projects.
- Center for Teen Empowerment: Empowering youth as agents of social change.
- Girls Going Places: This programs offers conferences across the nation to educate and support girls interested in entrepreneurship.
- Step Up Women’s Network: This national, non-profit organization connects and empowers women and girls interested in entrepreneurship.
- Youth Action Net: Investing in the power and promise of young social entrepreneurs around the globe.
- Cool Women, Hot Jobs by Tina Schwager and Michele Schuerger: This book highlights women with out-of-the-ordinary careers. From an FBI agent to a Disney Imagineer, this book has it covered.
- In Their Shoes: Extraordinary Women Describe Their Amazing Careers , by Deborah Reber: Learn what a “day in the life” is like for women who have the jobs of your dreams! This book answers all your career questions (“Will I wear Prada or Old Navy? Power lunch at the Ivy, or bag lunch at my desk?). Read it and be inspired!
- What Color is Your Parachute For Teens? Discovering Yourself, Defining Your Future by Richard Nelson Bolles and Carol Christen with Jean M. Blomquist: This practical book helps you define your interests, lifestyle and career goals. Learn how to choose the school—and tuition debt—that makes sense for your field and how to get started doing the work you love!
SOCIAL ACTIVISM AND VOLUNTEERISM
- Do Something: This site empowers teens to rock their causes. Get money for your cause, help rally support, and find volunteer opportunities.
- Idealist: Find the perfect volunteer opportunity, share resources, or discover your dream job at Idealist.
- Taking It Global: Online community of teens interested in global issues and creating positive change.
- The Free Child Project: Get involved with social change through this website. Meet other activists and learn about how you can get involved with today’s issues.
- Volunteer Match: Searchable database for volunteer opportunities.
- Youth Noise: Find, explore, and network causes. Start a YN blog, meet other youth activists, and get the tools and resources you need for your cause.
- Global Youth Connect: With programs and activities for international youth leaders, GYC works to bring about a more just world. Get involved by volunteering or attending one of their workshops.
- Project Girl: Become a critical consumer with media savvy through this girl-led, arts-based project.
- What Kids Can Do: Using print, the Internet, and broadcast media, this organization shows what kids can do when their thoughts and stories are taken seriously.
- Cash for College: The Ultimate Guide to College Scholarships: by Cynthia Ruiz McKee and Phillip C. McKee, Jr. : This book lists every possible scholarship opportunity—and its deadline—to help you fund your college education.
- Princeton Review’s Complete Book of Colleges: This book is the “mega-guide” to finding information on 1,578 colleges and universities. From the essentials like cost, financial aid, and application deadlines, to campus activities and student demographics, this resource helps you find the school that fits.
- The Smart Girl’s Guide to College by Christina Page: This no-nonsense guide offers a collection of essays written by young women in college. Their stories give girls the inside scoop on how to find the right school and prepare to attend it.
SELF-CARE AND HEALTH AND WELLNESS
- Addiction Resource: provides a community for those recovering from addiction and to help patients find the highest quality care for a successful recovery.
- Girl Zone: Girl Zone connects girls to the issues they care about: from family to school, friends, crushes, and everything in between.
- Girls with Dreams: Be inspired and empowered by the articles, quizzes and conversations taking place at Girls with Dreams.
- GURL: gURL.com is an online community for teen girls. Frank, smart, and hilarious, this site offers advice on topics from sexuality to dealing with stress. Check out their media reviews, quizzes, games and videos!
- I Emily: Get clear, in-depth, and expert information on your physical and emotional health.
- Jess Weiner: Check out Jess Weiner’s site to see how she helps create nation of confident women and girls.
- Kids Health: Answers, advice, and straight talk for teens about their physical, mental, and sexual health.
- Sex, etc.: Edgy, smart and informative, this sex education site is by teens, for teens.
- Smart Girl: A place for girls to gather, imagine, relate, and learn.
- Studio 2b: Girl Scouts’ interactive site for teen girls.
- Teen Central: Ask your questions and get advice from teens.
- Teen Talk: Planned Parenthood’s site for teen girls.
- Zoey’s Room: Geek out in style at this tech site for teen girls.
- Domestic Violence and Substance Abuse
- Dove Campaign for Real Beauty: Check out the Dove Movement for Self-Esteem and learn how you can help promote real beauty in your own community.
- Girl Scouts: Explore the Girl Scouts website and learn how they help girls build courage, confidence, and character.
- Girls Inc: This national organization inspires girls to be strong, smart, and bold.
- Chill: Stress-Reducing Techniques for a More Balanced, Peaceful You by Deborah Reber: With all the stress that comes from school and life, it can be hard to find time for yourself. Deborah Reber’s book is full of tips and techniques that will help you learn to how relax, breathe, and chill!
- Deal With It! A Whole New Approach to Your Body, Brain and Life as a Gurl by Esther Drill, Heather McDonald, and Rebecca Odes: Based off their website, gURL.com, this book deals with a variety of topics from “Boobs” to “Those Sucky Emotions” with wit, humor, and insight.
- Getting to Know the Real You: 50 Fun Quizzes Just for Girls by Harriet S. Mosatche and Elizabeth K. Lawner: Take these smart, fun quizzes—by yourself or with your friends—and discover the real you!
- Girls: What’s So Bad About being Good? How to Have Fun, Survive the Preteen Years, and Remain True to Yourself by Harriet S. Mosatche: Being a teenager is difficult. How do you wade through all the changes and stay true to yourself? In this book, Dr. Mosatche offers her advice on everything from puberty to popularity in a fresh and engaging style.
- Life Strategies for Teens by Jay McGraw: Learn how to steer your life towards your goals and dreams with the help of this can-do book.
- Teen Ink: Our Voices, Our Visions by Stephanie and John Meyer: TeenInk Magazine’s book features honest, compelling, and insightful stories written by teens.
- Teens Can Make It Happen: Nine Steps to Success by Stedman Graham: Get clear about your life and learn how to make your aspirations a reality with Graham’s helpful advice and insight.
- The Right Moves: To Getting Fit and Feeling Good by Tina Schwager and Michele Schuerger: This book is the guide to your total health and wellbeing. Covering topics from positive body-image to exercise routines, this book helps you create a healthy life!
- Too Old for This, Too Young For That: Your Survival Guide for the Middle School Years by Harriet S. Mosatche and Karen Unger: Get through your tween years with the help of this humorous and informative book.